Saturday, September 15, 2018

My Futuristic Teaching Philosophy


My Five Things I Want My Students To Learn: 
  • Accessibility with a variety of mediums
  • Open communication between themselves and others
  • Use and understand visual culture
  • To create without fearing about grades and expectations
  • Self expression

My Landmarks:
  • My high school art classroom:
     It was in this area of my high school where I felt I could relieve myself of the expectations and burdens that were being placed on me by others and myself. I could finally create what I wanted to create and had my horizons broaden as to what materials are able to do. It was here I made many new friends and gained an understanding of how deep the meanings can go in an art piece. I want my own classroom to have that same spark of creative freedom that mine offered me. That and a place where I as a teacher can create as freely as my own students would so the playing field could be leveled right before their eyes. To show that I myself am an artist just like them and can come to me for advice on what makes them their best.
  • A pencil:
     This piece represents my high school art teacher Mr. McFalls. He was the one who really helped me consider making art as a career and even pointed me towards Art Education when I didn't want to become a full time artist but still wanted to do something with art. He was a man who kept up with technology and would try to help as much as possible so that his students would flourish on their own. He also kept the lessons simple and direct so that everyone could learn the fundamental of art and gave everyone a chance to explore mediums through open ended assignments. Mr. McFalls is what I aspire to be like as an art teacher. One who gives freedom in creating to his students while also trying his hardest to make sure everyone gets something out of his class.
  • A iron lion's head:
     The piece itself is in reference to a metal lion sign that both me and Mr. McFalls painted over the course of several days. During this time, it was just the both of us in the classroom and we often sat in comfortable silence but would occasionally have witty banter about whatever peaked our interest. I even opened up about some insecurities I was struggling with at the time and he gave me a shoulder to lean and cry on. It was this time of comradery and peace that I would like to have with my students. I may never know what goes on outside of the school's walls but I would like to create that sense of comfort that Mr. McFalls gave to me. To allow my students to be themselves and speak out about what they feel or express those feelings through what they create.

My Rationale for My Interface Idea Based Off of My Teaching Beliefs: 
     When it comes to technology in any era, students will need a sense of freedom to create their own ideas without constantly being told that it wouldn't be possible. To fail and retry constantly to learn from their mistakes and grow. Art isn't in a bubble anymore so having an ear and eye open to what happens in the world can offer many creative outlets for students. People give each other ideas and critiques all the time so allowing student to critique themselves and their peers would create new avenues and concepts that may have not been envision before. Art today is still about self expression no matter how we do that so giving kids an outlet for their ideas and passions can be a great motivator for themselves and give them physical proof of their hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment